A consultation with a consultant neurologist is valuable at different stages:
- To make the distinction between primary and secondary headache.
Isolated headache with normal neurological examination is often primary, but investigations such as blood tests and brain MRI may be required to confirm the diagnosis and reassure the patient who may be anxious about a possible brain lesion.
- To distinguish between the different types of primary headache. An accurate diagnosis based on a detailed description by the patient will guide the treatment. The associated symptoms (severe vomiting, dizziness, visual aura, etc..) are assessed when taking the medical history.
- To analyse possible precipitating factors such as the menstrual cycle in young women, (catamenial migraines), lack of sleep, stress.
- To recognize medication overuse headache.
- To discuss the different therapeutic strategies to improve the quality of life of the patient.Changes in lifestyle can be advise.
Dr MH Marion at Wilbraham Place Practice and at Parkside hospital provides expert diagnostic advice, prompt access to investigations, and possible treatments, including Botox injections, for an optimal management of headache disorders.